This is concerning the soundtrack, not the movie itself. I put this note in here after a sound chewing out by an honest noder, which I not only understood but actually enjoyed. It reminded me of what I must sound like to y'all sometimes.

I would guess that this movie is a wretched, misshapen thing that no decent human should be expected to witness. Tell me if I'm wrong, 'cause I don't think anyone in my family is going to be shelling out for a ticket. However, the soundtrack CD has eight Steely Dan songs, all done by different artists, and most of them are pretty darn sweet.

I think many of you whippersnappers who have never gotten into the sociopathic fog that is Steely Dan might give a listen to these renditions, done by some of your generation's artists, and then move on to the real thing. The only artists I know who are covering the Dan on here are Wilco, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and Ben Folds Five. The other five are brand new to me, but that's a good thing. I was especially enchanted by Ivy's rendition of Only a Fool Would Say That. This has always been one of my favorite Dan songs. Some guy named Billy Goodrum does an excellent job of "Razor Boy." Hey, this CD even has a Hootie and the Blowfish song that I actually like! That's like, you know, just impossible or something. It also has the Foo Fighters' Breakout. You like that song, don't you?

Anyway, if you like these versions of Steely Dan songs and you've never given Steely Dan a spin, I can assure you that the original versions are at least as good as these covers.

In Hollywood, the brothers Peter and Bobby Farelly were long known for their dumb jokes and banal obscenities. In their huge success There’s something about Mary they showed a surprising talent for telling a contagiously romantic story, although the growing love between Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz went hand in hand with sperm and testicle jokes. In Me, Myself and Irene (2000), the Farelly’s work together with Jim Carrey for the second time. The movie proves at least one thing: both parties have grown hugely in his genre since the stupid Dumb & Dumber.

Well, this movie is also full of sick and silly jokes, but the filmmakers have learnt to integrate these more into the movie, whereas Carrey has learnt to use his extraordinary face muscles to fit into the story line, although he stays a comedian instead of a true actor. In Me, Myself and Irene, Carrey plays a man with a split personality, as he did before in The Mask, helped by thousands of special effects. Carrey doesn’t need the technical means anymore, as his changes from a childish policeman into a rough macho are marvelous.

Charlie takes his medication.
Irene: What are those for?
Charlie: Oh! It's just this stupid thing. I have to take a pill every six hours or I feel... funny. No big deal.
Irene: What's it called?
Charlie: Advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage.

The two opposite personalities are born when Carrey’s character Charlie denies his problems over his marital problems. His wife leaves him for an intelligent black dwarf, but Charlie keeps refusing to see that he is not the biological father of his smart, black children. When his schizophrenia worsens, his superiors decide to send him away for a while as sort of vacation. He gets to escort a girl named Irene, who is a witness in a fraud case in another state. Soon Irene is the center of a serious mob issue with corrupt policemen and shooting gangsters. Of course, Charlie and his macho alter ego Hank are sucked into the problems.

Unfortunately, the insulting gags and the shallow jokes might be hilarious, but still do not add enough to the story. A litter more harshness on their own selves could have helped the Farelly brothers to produce a movie with less loose ends. Next to Carry, the attractive Renée Zellweger plays a decent role as Irene, but has not (for instance) Cameron Diaz’ personality. The 5.9 at IMDB might be too low in my opinion, but Me, Myself and Irene certainly is no top movie. That’s Charlie’s story and I’m sticking to it.

IMDB lists the following actors:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.