Medford, Oregon, is a city in Oregon, and the largest city in southern Oregon. It is located in the Rogue Valley, about 27 miles north of the California border. The rain shadow effect produced by the valley gives Medford a warmer and sunnier climate than the Willamette Valley, where most of the state's population resides.

Medford was originally founded in 1883 as a depot for the Oregon and California Railroad, and was named after Medford, Massachusetts. The city quickly developed as a shipping hub for agricultural products and lumber, and its population grew from 967 in 1890 to more than 8,840 residents in 1910, making it one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. In 1927, Medford replaced Jacksonville as the county seat of Jackson County.

Today, Medford boasts a population of 84,550, and a metro population of 217,479. Its economy is primarily based on agriculture (particularly pears, peaches, and wine), and health care. Notable businesses include premium food company Harry & David, automotive retailer Lithia Motors, and Trucker Sno-Cat. Notable residents include Nike co-founder Bill Bowerman, actress and dancer Ginger Rogers, Dick Fosbury, inventor of the Fosbury Flop; former Attorney General David Frohnmayer, and former U.S. Representetive Vic Snyder.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.