"To them, gaming isn't a hobby, it's a mission from God"
"Relax, we understand j00"

-
www.megatokyo.com



Megatokyo is an online comic about two game junkies Largo and Piro, by Fred Gallagher and Rodney Caston. (Rodney, aka Largo, has since left the team to pursue other ventures.

Megatokyo, from what I understand, spawned from a drawing that Fred did for his other site, fredart.com (man, he's good), which consists of sketches and inked CG art in japanese anime/manga style (did I mention Piro speaks/reads japanese?) They got a big kickstart from the guys at Penny Arcade, one of the stranger, and funnier, online comics.

Megatokyo is in its 2nd year, and as bobbb21 says, they're no closer to getting home. In that time several new characters have shown up including Seraphim, Boo (Go for the beer boo!!!), Miho, and Ping-chan, a non-H school girl styled PS2 accessory. She's life-sized and can pitch busses around and unsuspecting assailants heads through rebar reinforced cement pylons.

In mid-December 2002, Megatokyo will be releasing it's first dead tree version through IC Entertainment. In addition, Megatokyo and related manga-style comics have recently become Fred's primary occupation. Wish him luck!
Fred's been to Otakon, a big anime/manga conference. Apprarently he asked all the fans that went to wear the branded Megatokyo t-shirts. Considering the animosity that exists between Megatokyo and other comics on the Pig Panda system, Penny Arcade especially, it will be interesting to find out how many beers were bought by people who weren't interested in what was inside, more the potentials that lay within its fragile shell. The last time Piro and Largo met the Penny Arcade characters, they lost their shirts and pants. They were lucky that time.

Things have developed quite a bit since microlith's post. The megatokyo comic is going from strength to strength. Currently Piro and Largo are still in Japan (no prizes for guessing that). Piro is working hard in a computer store, though unfortunately he losses his sketchbook. As a manga sketcher, I can can tell you how bad that is. It's found by a schoolgirl - Piro can't get over her eventhough he's about 4 years older than her (minimum). It takes him about 20 weeks or so to get it back.

Largo is in far worse trouble. After the beer supply runs out, he does things stupid even for Largo. Underneath the streets of Tokyo he finds a crypt. If I told you it contained a terrible evil what do you guess he did? Yep - he released it. This evil takes the form of another schoolgirl. So Largo attempts to combat her. Currently he is masquerading as an English teacher, after a teacher wrongly identified him as a student teacher. Unfortunately he is also being purusued by an android (also in the form of a schoolgirl - I think Fred has a fixation on Japanese schoolgirls). This android was seen chasing Largo with a lampost, after he managed to hurt her feelings. When Largo hurts a girl's feelings, he goes all the way! The android, Ping, has even joined the school where Largo is "teaching". When she entered the class, Largo promptly jumped out of the window.

Confused? Hardly surprising. Go and see the whole thing at www.megatokyo.com This is a tribute to Fred. Thanks for such a great comic!

17.2.04 - Piro and Seraphim got married in Las Vegas!!!

The anime series Bubblegum Crisis takes place in a city called Megatokyo.

The city of Megatokyo (and BGC in general) is heavily inspired by Blade Runner, with the mountain-sized Genom corporation building, (think Tyrell building) blimps with video screen advertisements, and its mix of high tech with dark city alleys.

The name Megatokyo is never really explained. Is it just Tokyo in the future which has been renamed? Or is it a different city in a different place, like York vs. New York? One of the Bubblegum Crash episodes references Tokyo Bay, so we might assume it's the former, but they never say why it was renamed.

Not to be confused with Akira's Neo-tokyo.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.