Meriadoc Brandybuck (aka "Merry"), son of Saradoc, was a hobbit that lived late in the Third Age. He was born in the Shire (year 2982) and was a member of the Fellowship of the Ring. Merry stayed with Frodo (ringbearer) until the Breaking of the Fellowship at Parth Galen, when Frodo and Samwise Gamgee departed south.

Merry and his friend, Peregrin Took ("Pippin"), were assaulted1 and captured by a party of orcs during/soon after Frodo's departure. The force, dominated by Uruk-Hai under Saruman, was returning to Isengard when surrounded and annihilated by rohirrim soldiers under Éomer Éadig. Merry and Pippin escaped destruction, however, and made their way into Fangorn Forest. Here they met Treebeard and began the events that would lead to the annihilation of Saruman's fortress.

Merry spent much time with the rohirrim. He befriended king Théoden and rode to the Battle of Pelennor Fields with (literally - upon the same horse as) Éowyn (incognito at the time). At the battle he delivered the fatal blow to the Lord of the Nazgul and was wounded in the process. Weak and confused, he made his way into Minas Tirith where he was healed by Elessar.

Merry returned to the Shire after the War of the Ring and played a major role in expelling the evils that had rooted themselves there. He lived into the fourth age, married Estella Bolger, but did not have any children. When 102 years old, King Éomer summoned Merry to Rohan. He left the Shire with Pippin, and they visited the king before his death. The remaining years Meriadoc passed, with Pippin, in Gondor. Dying, they were buried among heroes of men in Rath Dinen.

J.R.R. Tolkien Node


1Boromir, son of Denethor II (Steward of Gondor), was there - he defended the hobbits until slain by many orc arrows.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.