The Story of Metal Gear, Part 6:
Snake Eater

The 6th game in the Metal Gear Series, as of yet unreleased anywhere else but in the United States, with the Japanese release pending and the European release in March 2005. The production is once again by Konami and the writer/director/producer is once more Kojima Hideo, who swore after MGS2 that that was his last Metal Gear.

About the content, rumors abound. We know that the game is set in the past, so it seems certain that we will not play Solid Snake himself, unless they develop a "time machine" in the game context. All signs point to the main character being the first Foxhound member to bear the callsign Snake, Big Boss himself, perhaps before he turned into the super villain/genetic blueprint/plot device we know him to be in the earlier games. Also appearing will be a member of the soviet Speznaz special forces Ocelot group (guess who), and a young soldier that bears a strong resemblance to Raiden from MGS 2. Watching the trailers closely also reveals that it will take place in or near the Soviet Union, so we are looking at Cold War era political intrigue or espionage, at least for part of the game. The tech and weapons will be "downgraded" to systems that might have been available to covert operatives in the era.

Hungry for some snake?

The game will mainly take place in a jungle environment, free from the constrictions of former games that were limited to building complexes only. There will be countless new elements of play, for example you will have to hunt for food instead of collecting rations, climb trees, be able to use camouflage and boobytraps. It will use the possibilities of the Playstation 2 to the fullest and if it is anything like the trailer, we can look forward to a killer of a game - it`s absolutely gorgeous.

Contrary to previous announcements, Kojima Hideo has decided to write and direct this new game as well, so we can look forward to a lot of backstabbing and innovative ideas as well. Why he decided to make a prequel first, instead of continuing the storyline remains a mystery to this point, but we may be surprised yet.

The game seems to be out in the states early, but as I don`t own a US playstation, I´ll have to wait for the japanese release in the middle of December 2005 to play the game. I will keep you posted on any news and provide a full plotline as with the other games hardlinked below as soon as I have it. Until then, happy sneaking.

Official Metal Gear Games List:
Metal Gear - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - (Metal Gear: Ghost Babel)
Metal Gear Solid (see also Twin Snakes) - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Substance) - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear AC!D

Video Game

Title: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Console: PS2
Genre: Action-Adventure
Players: Single player only ESRB Rating: Mature (17+)
  • Blood and Gore
  • Intense Violence
  • Langauge
  • Sexual Themes
Production Company: Konami
Release Dates:
  • USA - November 2004
  • Japan - December 2004
  • PAL regions - March 2005

Metal Gear Solid, for those of you unfamiliar with the series, is a "tactical espionage" game. This style of game play involves a less aggressive combat style where rather than confronting enemies "Rambo style", the player must employ stealth to avoid an onslaught by heavily armed troops who are alerted to your presence.

The game is set in Russia during the Cold War in the mid 1960's. You play a character code named "Naked Snake," a CIA agent and ex-Green Beret who specializes in covert operations as well as close-range combat. Snake's mission is very familiar to anyone who has played a Metal Gear game before: infiltrate an enemy base to save the world from an advanced tank that can launch a nuclear warhead from almost anywhere in the world.

The first thing you notice when you pop the game into your PS2 and launch the intro scene is that the graphics are vastly improved over the previous game. They are simply outstanding! Secondly, without playing more than 3 minutes of the game you are exposed to a more versatile and visually stunning change of setting from the previous two games: a vast jungle populated with flora and fauna that dwarf the previous games' indoor settings to box maps.

Aside from just getting a face lift, the game play is far more immersing. It continues to further blur the lines between the game and the real world which is so important to video gaming by making you feel like you are in a situation rather than controling a computer program. The coolest of these additions, in my opinion, is the ability to camouflage yourself with different uniforms and face paints. There's a metric butt load of combinations that can either make you stand out like a taco at a titty bar or conceal you from someone walking by just inches away. Another fairly cool change involves the stamina bar from the previous games that determines how long you can hold your breath, hang from ledges, and generally stay sneaky. Snake's stamina bar now decreases as time goes by due to hunger and nutrition. This means that you, as the player, have to hunt for food. While at first this seems like it would be a tedious task, there are a ton of different things to capture ranging from generic fruits and bugs to exotic alligators and snakes, and Snake has a different opinion on the flavor and nutrition of each. Simply put, it's fun to find out what tastes good and what makes you sick. In addition, tranquilizing animals can allow you to capture and cage living animals. These animals can then be thrown at guards as distractions, or if they are poisonous (like the king cobra) they can even wound or kill a guard without Snake being seen. With these and other gameplay modifications, the Metal Gear tradition of innovation and general bad-assery has been stepped up once again.

Speaking of tradition, Metal Gear Solid 3 continues with the tradition of having more of a plot than the typical shooter. The game has outstanding character development, great voice dubbing, awesome settings, a hard hitting sound track, and intense fight scenes. I mean the boss fight between the expert sniper "The End" and Naked Snake is just freakin' awsome, and I've never seen a video game have a more intimidating boss than "The Fury" before. The game's story is just really solid and doesn't include any of the moronic insanity that was in Sons of Liberty. This game is a must have if you like the MGS series or video games in any way shape or form.

My Rating: 5 out of 5.
Sources include the Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake eater game, instructional booklet, and my own experiences / opinions. Feel free to /msg me with any questions, comments, or concerns about this WU.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.