display | more...
Baseball stadium in Bloomington, MN, just outside the Twin Cities. Home of the Minnesota Twins from 1961 until the opening of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in 1982. Also home of the NFL's Minnesota Vikings from 1965 to 1981.

Metropolitan Stadium was used by the Minneapolis Millers of the American Association upon its completion in 1956. But the real purpose of "the Met" was to draw a major league baseball team to Minnesota. The plan succeeded when, in 1961, Clark Griffith and the Washington Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins.

The ballpark was very helpful to power hitters, with short dimensions and winds generally blowing towards the fences. The Twins took advantage of this, and their lineup was often stocked with power hitters such as Harmon Killebrew and Tony Oliva. In 1965 Metropolitan Stadium hosted its only World Series, as the Twins lost in seven games to Sandy Koufax's Los Angeles Dodgers.

Metropolitan Stadium was demolished in 1985 to make way for The Mall of America. Inside the mall, in Camp Snoopy, a plaque marks the original location of home plate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.