That part of the United States between Hollywood and Times Square. The heartland, full of good, decent people, the salt of the earth, who won't stand for what them folks are up to in New York City, Los Angeles, and certainly not what they do out there in San Francisco.

God-fearin', Bible-believin', go-to-church-on-Sunday folk. Give you an honest day's work for an honest day's pay... yadda yadda yadda.

But they get exploited by politicians; Middle America was a component of Richard Nixon's "Silent Majority" and Jerry Falwell's "Moral Majority". Pols put on their populist costume and go out stumping for votes, but few of them actually really bother with connecting with the people in any substantial way, even when they're from Middle America, like Russell, Kansas' own Bob Dole. And before the "but think of the children!" motif became the top rationale for would-be censors, "Middle America" was often the entity singled out for "see, hear, speak no evil" goodness.

Good people, however mythological they may actually be in the aggregate.

Additionally, a region of the Western Hemisphere comprising Central America, Mexico, and the West Indies.

See also: spring break, tropical storm, Montezuma's Revenge.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.