Middlebury, IN, is a quaint little town on the North-Western tip of Indiana about 5 miles from Michigan. It has one stoplight, 3 gas stations, 1 real grocery store, 1 Amish grocery store and a tavern. There are lots of other small stores throughout the town. They didn't get their first franchise fastfood joint until a few years ago. There must be about 5000 people now. As I was growing up, there were only about 1800 people in the town. We only had 1 gas station, 1 drug store, 1 grocery store, and 1 tavern. There was a nice little soda shop beside the school that made their own ice cream. Other than that there was not much else. To this day, I don't believe they even have cable.

To be honest with you, I don't know all the specifics of the town anymore. I visit it from time to time when I go back. It still has a horse and buggy hitching post in town. There are hundreds of Amish families scattered nearby throughout the country side.

Tourism of the Amish community, while not the same as Lancaster, Pennsylvania, has become one of the major boost to the economy. The other main industry is the recreational vehicle industry. Middlebury is home to Coachman Industries and Jayco, which are pretty well known throughout the US.

I know this may not be the most exciting node, but I just wanted to write about the small town I grew up in and am still quite fond of.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.