Midnight Oil are an Australian rock group starting around 1976 and still existing to this day. They are not blind conformists unlike most rock and pop groups and play politically inspired songs as well as songs from the heart. Peter Garrett, their lead singer ran for government in 1984. He is now the head and deeply involved in several environmental groups this as well being a major factor in their writings.

The Oils as they are affectionately known by their fans first hit it big in 1982 with the album 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 which dealt mainly with nuclear issues and the blatant corruption by the powers that be as with all their albums.

I'm not sure if im allowed to be opinionated but ^%$# it. I last saw the Oils at a rock festival, it was around 1998. They were by far the oldest band there but also by far the most energetic, fiery and damn they showed the other 'cooler' more 'alternative' bands how its done. This by a pack of 40+ year olds. This believe it or not is a band with integrity. Whats that? Listen to the Oils.

Midnight Oil by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Cut if you will, with Sleep's dull knife,
     Each day to half its length, my friend,—
The years that Time takes off my life,
     He'll take from off the other end!


<< Portrait by a Neighbour || A Few Figs from Thistles (1922) || The Merry Maid >>

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.