Miles Edward O'Brien (2328 - ) was a human on the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Played by Colm Meaney.

Born in Dublin, Ireland, Miles Edward O'Brien graduated from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers and in 2346 he enlisted in Starfleet. He was then assigned as a comm officer aboard the USS Rutledge under the command of Captain Benjamin Maxwell. During his service there, he was promoted to tactical officer after his improvised repairs to the transporters saved a number of the ship's crew from capture by the Cardassians, with whom the Federation were at war.

In 2364, O'Brien transfered to the USS Enterprise-D (NCC-1701-D) where he worked as conn officer and later (2365) as transporter chief. In 2367, he married Keiko Ishikawa ('Data's Day' (TNG)), and the next year their daughter Molly Worf O'Brien was born ('Disaster' (TNG)).

In 2369, O'Brien transfered again, this time to the new Federation-run outpost Deep Space Nine--a former Cardassian station now possessed by the Bajorans--and with the new position of chief engineer. When the Cardassians abandoned the station after the Bajoran Occupation, they sabotaged much of the station's components, leaving O'Brien and the rest of the team much work to do.

In 2373, his son Kirayoshi O'Brien was born ('The Begotten' (DS9)), after earlier being transplanted into Kira Nerys due to a shuttle accident ('Body Parts' (DS9)).

Following the end of the Dominion War, he left Deep Space Nine to teach engineering at Starfleet Academy. ('What You Leave Behind (DS9)').

Oh, and in TNG episode 'The Ensigns of Command', we see briefly that O'Brien plays the cello.


There is also a guy at CNN with the name 'Miles O'Brien'.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.