Someone /had/ to add this.

This is the neighbourhood that Mr. Rogers lives in. The three people that stand out in my mind are Mr. McFeely the mailman, the baker, and the guy who owned the music store.


It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor?

My favorite part of this show was "make-believe", when the trolley would take viewers to the kingdom ruled by the King Friday XIII and Queen Sara. There was Lady Elaine Fairchilde, who lived in the Museum-Go-Round, Henrietta Pussycat, Prince Friday, X The Owl who lived in a big tree, and a multitude of other puppets whose names escape me.

A long-running show on PBS that is a year older than Sesame Street, which complements the show nicely. While Sesame Street taught letters and numbers, Mister Rogers showed kids the world of imagination, taught them how to deal with life’s problems (anger, jealousy, divorce, losing a pet), and told them they were special.

Most people will remember how he was very soft-spoken. Fred Rogers was the neighbor everyone wanted, opening each show with his signature song, “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” while changing from suit to sweater (many of which were knitted by his mother) and from dress shoes to sneakers. All I remember was, Why does he keep changing shoes?

Guests from around the neighborhood showed up to help teach the day’s lesson, Mister Rogers would also take the home viewers along on field trips, visiting factories to see how things were made.

Every show featured a trolly taking a visit to the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, where the puppets King Friday, Queen Sara, Prince Tuesday, Lady Elaine, X the Owl, Henrietta Pussycat, and Daniel Tiger helped each other and their human friends with problems and concerns.

New episodes were created each year and put into rotation with older ones until Mr. Rogers finally hung up his cardigan for good in late 2000. Even without new episodes, however, the show's place on kiddie TV is secure. It's still a landmark children’s program that will be with us for years to come.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.