What NOT to call a Muslim. Although it is used by orientalists to describe Muslims, Muslims hate the term because of the extremely displeasing implication that Muslims worship Muhammad. Muslims are very strictly monotheistic -- to become Muslim you declare that "There is no god but The One God (Allah), and Muhammad is His messenger". Furthermore, Muslims don't believe that Muhammad originated the religion of Islam; rather, God revealed the truth to many prophets (such as Abraham, Moses, Jesus) which has always been submission to His will (which is what Islam means), but their message got distorted over time. It was just that Muhammad was the last in a long chain of Prophets, all of whom received the same divine revelation of submitting to His will.

So call a Muslim a Muslim.

The phrase Mohammedan is offensive to virtually all muslims in much the way that "Nigger!" is offensive to people of dark skin living around the world. A Mohammedan is someone who worships Mohammed. A muslim is someone who worships Allah, and practices the religion of Islam. This isn't a small point, getting it right is likely to prevent many punches in the face when visiting abroad.... So consider this a public service announcement! :-)

Mo*ham"med*an (?), a. [From Mohammed, fr. Ar. muh�xa0;mmad praiseworthy, highly praised.]

Of or pertaining to Mohammed, or the religion and institutions founded by Mohammed.

[Written also Mahometan, Mahomedan, Muhammadan, etc.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Mo*ham"med*an, n.

A follower of Mohammed, the founder of Islamism; one who professes Mohammedanism or Islamism.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.