One of the sub-games in the Gamecube version of Super Monkey Ball. Your monkey starts, in his or her ball, at the top of a giant floating ski-jump-like ramp, in the middle of the ocean (or maybe some inland sea or lake, the backstory for these monkeys and their balls is left as an exercise for the reader). In the ocean are islands made of regions worth different point values if you land on them.

Play consists of rolling the monkey (inside its ball) down the ramp and off the jump, opening the monkey's ball, forming a pair of wings, piloting the monkey to one of the islands and closing the ball, allowing the monkey to roll safely to a stop. Landing on an island gives you points, landing in the water gives you no points, crashing in to an island makes your monkey twitch pathetically for a while and gives you no points.

The ramp, air and islands are littered with bananas, collecting banananas gives you points and also various monkey powers. Collecting a certian number of bananas allows you to use a specific power in the next round. The powers include calming the wind, doubling or tripling your score for this round, monkey breaks and "magnet ball" which allows your monkey to come to an immediate halt when it lands on an island.

Strategy:

for maximum speed, delay opening your monkey ball until the last possible minute. This also looks really cool and allows you to pull up a splash trail (but could also land you underwater).

collect enough bananas for magnet ball, then go for the tiny 500 point bouy.

On the pyramid level, go off to the ramp and veer left past the left most pyramid, turn 180 degrees and aim for the far pyramid. Hit that pyramid square on it's face, just above the points platform, you should either roll up a bit then back down to the points platform, or go over the top and land on the far points platform.

don't be a hero, if you can make some small point region and you may be able to make some big point region, go for the small points.

How to get badass scores at Monkey Target

or How to be a Hero ;)

I'm talking about 2000+ points for 5 rounds

Use the character Baby for it is most affected by windspeed and rolls least upon contact with the ground.

Area 1 is very good for collecting bananas. Save up for x3 multipliers.

Areas 2 & 3 are good for bouy landings (worth 500 points each) and practice but little else.

Don't use your x3 multiplier until there is a windspeed of 15mph or above. This is because you will use the windspeed to reduce your own speed. ;)

When you get a decent windspeed, build up your own speed and then go fly as high as you can manage, 240+ feet is good. However keep you speed to around 90mph for a while.

To land on a bouy using only the windspeed to slow you do something like the following. Line up the bouy in front of you so that the windspeed is in your face and slowing you.

As you get closer to the bouy start pulling back on the control stick to slow down and to raise your altitude, you will also notice that your camera angle has changed, try and keep this angle.

Try and land on the bouy, then try again.

Try it a few more times.

Well you've either given up or have managed it, err well done?

Trust me this is better than my original attempt to do this :/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.