A monophonic analog synthesizer with a 37-note keyboard. 7000 units produced between 1981 and 1985.

Unlike the previous Moog instuments, The Rogue features digital parameter access, with membrane buttons and a data wheel instead of the usual collection of knobs and switches.

The bright-coloured Rogue features 2 syncable and detuneable VCOs with a 3-octave (32'-16'-8') range. Both offer a choice between sawtooth, triangle and pulse (with PWM) waveforms. A noise generator is included, with a mixer to adjust the levels of the three sound sources.
Moog's famous patented filter design is represented by a 4-pole (24dB/octave) self-oscillating low-pass VCF. It features controls for cut-off, resonance, 3 keyboard tracking modes and envelope amount.
Both the VCF and the VCA have their own ADSR envelope generators. An LFO with triangle and square waves is included, with the ability to modulate either or both of the oscillators and the filter.

The Source was the first Moog synth to feature patch memory. There are 16 preset instruments which can all be replaced by user sounds. A simple digital sequencer is also available, with real time sequencing and a 64-note memory over two patterns. Furthermore, there is a 24-note arpeggiator which actually resembles a step time sequencer, only without the ability to play the same note twice. A cassette interface is available for storing more sounds and sequences.
Other features include the usual pitch bend / modulation wheels, octave switch buttons plus a CV and S-trig interface for external control. Third party MIDI retrofit kits are available.

Famous users include Gary Numan, Depeche Mode, Tangerine Dream and Phish.


Preset Sounds:
Lead 1
Lead 2
Horn
Flute
Clav Bass
Vibes
String Bass
Harpsichord
Organ
Trill Voice
Taurus
Synthevox
Sax
Wind
Snare Drum
Lead 1 (duplicate)


back to Moog

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.