Archibald "Moonlight" Graham (1879-1965), played by Burt Lancaster in the Kevin Costner movie Field of Dreams, was actually a real baseball player. After playing for years in the minor leagues with the Charlotte Hornets of the North Carolina League, he was called up to the majors to play with the New York Giants in the summer of 1905.

In a game against the Brooklyn Dodgers on June 29, 1905, Giants manager John McGraw sent Graham into the game in the 9th inning as a defensive replacement. The Dodgers made three quick outs, none of which were hit his way, and Graham was sent back down to the minors the next day. Graham was not called up again that year, and when he realized he would probably not be called up for the next year either, he retired from professional ball to pursue his other dream of becoming a doctor. Thus, Graham ended his major league career with the shortest career stats line ever: 1 game played, 0 at bats, 0 hits, 0 assists, and 0 putouts.

In 1908 Graham moved to Chisholm, Minnesota where he practiced childrens' medicine for 50 years, and even conducted a somewhat notable study on blood pressure in children.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.