A tasty beverage with a funny name. Moose Drool Brown Ale is the flagship product of the Big Sky Brewing company in Missoula, Montana, though if there were any justice in this world it'd be brewed from water drawn from a stream running through Saskatchewan's most interesting town. Any honest Moose Drool should, of course, emanate from a Moose Jaw. And then, perhaps, be bottled by a flying squirrel, to compete with Boris and Natasha's Russian Imperial (oops I mean Socialist Comrades) Stout.

The beer in question is quite dark, with a fuller, more complex flavor than you'd find in a Newcastle. It's quite toasty and only moderately hoppy. The smell of the stuff reminds me of an odd blend of pipe tobacco my father smoked back in the 1980's. Ubiquitous in Montana, Moose Drool can also be found throughout much of the western United States, albeit more sparsely. You probably won't be able to buy it in the East, though, since the killjoys who own the trademark to Moosehead (a far lesser brew, IMO, and one which no one in their right mind would confuse with Moose Drool) sicced their lawyers on the ambitious Montanans. If that's not a decent argument against Intellectual Property, I don't know what is!

Moose Drool is available on tap principally in Montana, and more widely in six-packs of brown bottles. Unlike Newcastle, Moose Drool has no noticeable drop in quality between the draft and bottled products. The label features a watercolor painting of a bull moose standing in shallow water, munching on water lilies and expectorating copiously.

Big Sky Brewing produces a variety of other beers, each with a zoological name and a similarly styled painting on the label. Basically, it's the same shtick that worked for O'Reilly - though the two companies' bestiaries differ, each's most visible mascot is a curmudgeonly ungulate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.