A 100%-vegetarian cookbook, written and copiously illustrated by Mollie Katzen, and first published by Ten Speed Press in 1974. Katzen was a founding member of the Moosewood Collective, which runs the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca. The Moosewood Cookbook was one of the first entirely vegetarian cookbooks to become popular on a wide scale. The book is handwritten, with Katzen's own whimsical, sometimes mock-Victorian line art.

Some important safety tips for using the Moosewood Cookbook - these were passed on to me by a friend who's been a vegetarian for 10 years and apparently learned these things the hard way. Katzen did a sub-optimal job of adapting the Moosewood's recipes from restaurant use to home use, or perhaps just didn't test these recipes with enough non-foodies. As a result, the original version of the book should be treated with the following two considerations:

1. If the book says to use a small or medium mixing bowl, use the largest one you have.

2. When estimating prep times, double the estimates the book provides.

There is a new version, titled The New Moosewood Cookbook, which duplicates the look of the original but contains new recipes and corrections. I can't vouch for the correctness of its prep time estimates or equipment prescriptions, but it might be worth a look. There are also numerous sequels (such as Moosewood Restaurant New Classics) produced by the rest of the collective, most of which did not involve Mollie Katzen.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.