One of the Protestant denominations of Christianity. One of the smallest in the US, yet one of the largest worldwide, due to it's extensive mission programs (of which one day I hope to finally be able to participate in, hopefully in Latin America or South America, as my poor Spanish speaking skills would be a benefit).

There is a covenant that Moravians try to follow in our daily lives. It encompasses the love and tolerance of all persons, the advancement of Christianity through peaceful means, and the service we give to the less fortunate. Our motto is: "In essentials, unity, in non-essentials, liberty, in all things, love".

Moravians hold that all people are God's creatures, and as such, love and respect all persons with no regard to a person's race, color, creed, or land of origin.

Mo*ra"vi*an (?), a.

Of or pertaining to Moravia, or to the United Brethren. See Moravian, n.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mo*ra"vi*an, n. Eccl. Hist.

One of a religious sect called the United Brethern (an offshoot of the Hussites in Bohemia), which formed a separate church of Moravia, a northern district of Austria, about the middle of the 15th century. After being nearly extirpated by persecution, the society, under the name of The Renewed Church of the United Brethren, was reestablished in 1722-35 on the estates of Count Zinzendorf in Saxony. Called also Herrnhuter.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.