1. The mines through which Frodo and the other characters of Tolkien's classic The Lord of the Rings have to travel. Its original dwarven name is Khazad-Dûm.
  2. A classic roguelike computer game. Its source code forms the basis of the later and more developed Angband.

Moria or UMoria A terminal based role-playing game that probably ensured thousands of students didn't get any sleep while they were at University. Also see angband. Incredibly the game had no graphics and used text characters to represent a map of the world (which happenned to consist of six or eight shops and an endless dungeon with multiple levels which were randomly generated every time you switched levels.
Now made to look pretty pittiful by the likes of Doom and Quake

From Lord of the Rings, the mines of Moria were the home of the dwarves, during the elder days. The tunnels of Moria stretched for more than 40 miles from the west door to the east gate under western Middle Earth. It's deeper levels supposedly contained a king's fortune in mithril. Now Moria is the home of the Balrog, and a few bands of orcs.

Sindarin for "Black Pit".

Home of durin's line of dwarves in Tolkien's middle-earth. It lies beneath the misty mountains just west of Lorien.

Founded by Durin himself, this mine/city was the only place in the world where you could find mithril. Here the dwarves of Durin's line lived until the third age, when they awoke a balrog of Morgoth who had slept underground since the Battle of the Valar. The Balrog promptly killed the Dwarven King (thus his name as "Durin's Bane") and set up shop in Moria, leaving the dwarves homeless.

Don't worry, they eventually set up home in Erebor.

Balin, son of Fundin foolishly thought to retake Moria late in the third age, but he learned a valuable lesson: don't fuck with the Balrog.

Moore's Law = M = MOTAS

moria /mor'ee-*/ n.

Like nethack and rogue, one of the large PD Dungeons-and-Dragons-like simulation games, available for a wide range of machines and operating systems. The name is from Tolkien's Mines of Moria; compare elder days, elvish. The game is extremely addictive and a major consumer of time better used for hacking. See also nethack, rogue, Angband.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

The largest dungeon in the SNES/PSX game 'Tales of Phantasia', said to be the home of the dwarves, their incredible treasures, and multitudes of vile monsters.

The first time you visit, you can only go down 10 levels, but later in the game, you can go down another 11, and at the bottom lurks the Wyvern, who guards the dwarves' treasure.

An Amiga port of the Moria game used a special 16-color font for graphics. There were also some enhancements to this version of the game, such as rare weapons of Godly Might, which made defeating the Balrog and even Ancient Multi-hued Dragons fairly simple.

Gameplay (of all versions) was fairly simple; the player controlled a single character of fixed race and class (with classes restricted by race; half-trolls were too stupid to be mages, for instance) who must survive in the dungeon, hoping to destroy the Balrog to win the game. The dungeon was infested with monsters and littered with items (potions, rings, amulets, wands, and the occasional staff, as well as weapons and armor) which could help or harm.

Mo"ri*a (?), n. [NL., fr. Gr. folly.]

Idiocy; imbecility; fatuity; foolishness.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.