"Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance" is the fifth in the line of Mortal Kombat games. (Though there were several ports and spinoffs, such as the abysmal Mortal Kombat Special Forces, I'm not counting them as MK games proper.)

Deadly Alliance will be the first of the traditional (fighter-style) games that can't be played in an arcade, as Midway has gotten out of the arcade machine business. As of this writing, it is expected to be available for the Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo GameCube.

MK mastermind Ed Boon has (through a press release) announced that Scorpion, Sub-zero, Raiden, Jax, Sonya Blade, Reptile, Shang Tsung, and Quan Chi will return in this game. The same press release promises "all-new characters and worlds, never-before-seen features and a totally new fighting engine." Oh, and it will make your whites whiter and your brights brighter too.

The game is due for release in the fall of 2002.


Updates: New characters include Blind Kenshi and Moloch, characters who are not returning include Liu Kang, longtime fan favorite. (Rumour has it Liu will die in the requisite opening cutscene.) PlayStation 2 and GameBoy Advance have been added to the list of supported systems. www.mk5.org, an unofficial fan site, has buckets of screenshots and concept art from the game.


Update: The game came out. I didn't buy it. Someone write a good review so my sorry excuse for a writeup can be nuked.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.