Motet is a web conferencing software product created by Bryan Higgins. Motet features a nonthreaded, topic-based interface, with the site divided into seperate, hosted conferences, each containing topics that can be started by users or hosts. Users can hide, reveal, or delete their posts, but cannot modify them. Hosts have the same abilities.

    The strengths of Motet are
  • The ability to show any number of posts in a particular topic
  • The compartmentalization of the conference/topic structure, allowing people to easily and automatically ignore that which does not interest them
    The Weaknesses include
  • The inability to edit posts for spelling and factual errors
  • The moderation, which is designed to support a hostly hierarchy and does not allow any equivalent of voting.
It is used by several large sites such as the Utne Reader's Utne Cafe, the San Francisco Chronicle's Gate, Poets and Writers Magazine's Speakeasy, and Neopoeia.


I thought long and hard before noding this. To some it may appear to be an attempt to spam E2. If that is the final judgement of the Hivemind, I will abide quietly. However, the Everything Engine and Motet represent two totally different ways to perform essentially the same function, and it seems to me, as an inhabitant of both systems, to be important to discuss the differences.

A short piece of music set to Latin (and only Latin) words, and sung instead of, or immediately after, the Offertorium, or as a detached piece in extra-liturgical functions. The origin of the name is a matter of debate. The most generally accepted derivation is from the Latin motus, "movement"; but the French mot, "word", or "phrase" (old usage), has also been suggested. Unlike an Anthem, which uses the vernacular (such as Tavener's The Lamb).

Various motets include both Mozart's and William Byrd's Ave Verum Corpus, and many were written by others such as Samuel Wesley, Palestrina and Lully.

Mo*tet" (?), n. [F., a dim. of mot word; cf. It. mottetto, dim. of motto word, device. See Mot, Motto.] Mus.

A composition adapted to sacred words in the elaborate polyphonic church style; an anthem.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.