Mount Tom is one of two things in common reference, a mountain in Holyoke, MA, or a ski resort bearing that mountain's name.

In regards to the mountain itself, two men explored the area that eventually became Holyoke, Elizur Holyoke and Rowland Thomas. There were two mountains in the area, and each chose one to take his name. As it turns out, Mount Tom ended up in Holyoke, and Mt. Holyoke (also the name of a famous women's college) ended up in South Hadley. There is confusion to this day from people who don't live here.

In regards to the skiing area, it closed recently, along with the amusement park, named Mountain Park (which closed many years ago). Right now the property remains vacant, awaiting a buyer. It used to be quite an awesome ski resort (others in the area are bigger, with more trails) for the locals. In the summer time it was thankfully a water resort park (later losing out to Riverside's water attractions, only 20 minutes away.

Mount Tom still resides as a part of Holyoke's history as it still holds the Summit House, which is currently under renovation. This house is all a part of Old Holyoke, back when it was The Paper City; when the Canoe Club flourished and it was rich and affluent. Performances and the arts live up there now, along with tours of Holyoke via the Mt. Tom Railroad, where passengers get a guided view of the skyline of Holyoke.

Mount Tom is a huge place; touching a huge section of Holyoke and Northampton. It also makes for an excellent camping spot. There is quite a beautiful State Park up there on it, where visitors can go up to Goat's Peak, to view the other side of the mountain, overlooking the Oxbow, and Connecticut River. Well worth a trip, if you are in the area.
There is also a large mountain by this name in the eastern Sierra Nevada of California. At 13,652 feet, it is almost 1000 feet lower than Mt Whitney, the highest mountain in the range. However, Mt. Tom, unlike Mt Whitney, stands out a mile or two from the crest, giving the mountain an extremely imposing form. It rises up from Round Valley, around 4000 feet in elevation, giving it almost 10,000 feet of sheer rugged mountain on its eastern side. This conical mountain is visible from Bishop and nearby areas, and has appeared in many movies, car commercials, etc.

Because this mountain is so remote and steep, it has no trail to the top. But it can be accessed from Buttermilk Country to the east. I've never personally climbed it, but i hear the view is breathtaking.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.