1. Nerve; courage. 2. Effrontery; gall. "That crumb is some moxie! After lousing Slim up (slandering him), now he's hanging out with the ghee (fellow)."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Moxie was invented in 1884, making it the oldest soft drink one can still buy in America. Made only in Maine, from the waters of Lake Moxie, it has developed the catch phrase "Moxie Makes Mainers Mighty," since, like most old tonics, it was originally marketed as an elixir, mostly because it is made from gentian root. The following of Moxie surrounds the town of Lisbon Falls, Maine, where Frank Anicetti is found in charge of his store, Kennebec's Fruit Store/House of Moxie selling all the Moxie paraphenilia one could ever need, as well as the world's only commercial source of Moxie ice cream. Frank also runs the annual Moxie Days festival, held the second Saturday in July, which includes a rather long parade, a town barbeque, and more bright orange clothing than you can shake a stick at.

Note that it is damn near impossible to get a 2-liter bottle of Moxie outside of Maine without ordering it specially.

Nutritional Facts:

  • Serving Size: 8 fl oz
  • Calories: 100
  • Total Fat: 0g
  • Sodium: 35mg
  • Total Cabrohydrates: 25g
  • Sugars: 25g
  • Protien: 0g

Ingredients (according to the bottle next to me) are as follows:

  • Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, natural and artifical flavors, caramel color, sodium benzoate (a preservative), gentian root extractives, phosphoric acid, caffeine, and citric acid.

Moxie is a registered trademark of the Monarch Company in Atlanta, Georgia.

From something written during a fit of insomnia a few months ago:

12.33pm: i've discovered a one litre bottle of moxie brand soda in my refrigerator. this may be my only salvation. moxie is the most aptly named soda in the history of marketing. if all sodas followed moxie's example, sprite would be made of ground up pixies and all of the world's nobility would be on the run from the makers of rc cola. in boy scouts there is a fine period of humiliation where a naive youngster who has not yet learned to distrust his fellow man is made to drink a noxious mixture dubbed "indian bravery serum." if he doesn't make a face, he is a true indian brave and the spirit of the warrior is strong within him and darth vader is his father and so forth. moxie could very well be the bottled, carbonized indian bravery serum. moxie has been known to cause the growth of chest hair on all the laboratory rats that went bald from having their blood replaced with saccharine (according to webster's revised unabridged dictionary, a white or yellowish crystalline substance, C6H4.(SO2.CO).NH, produced artificially by the oxidation of a sulphamic derivative of toluene is called sulphinide. it is the sweetest substance known, having over two hundred times the sweetening power of sugar, and is known in commerce under the name of saccharine. it has acid properties and forms salts (which are inaccurately called saccharinates). it also has been known to cause cancer in laboratory rats. everything causes cancer. life is the number one cause of death.). moxie is the active ingredient in propecia. moxie knows where you live. moxie was makin' love to your old lady while you were out makin' love. moxie is the little death that brings total oblivion. moxie is the way. moxie is the light. moxie contains sodium benzoate. moxie has eyes in the back of its head. moxie is in the eyes of the beholder. moxie has been around since 1884 and don't take no guff from no one. moxie doesn't expect you to talk; moxie expects you to die.

moxie is also highly caffienated.

i think i might be saved.

bottoms up. down the hatch. hallelujah.

2.04pm: it's like a syringe full of adrenalin stabbed right through my chest and into my heart. i finally have the freedom to emerge from my zombie state, but for a limited time. five, ten minutes at the most per sip. i've found a powerpuff girls tape. this will keep me occupied for another two hours or so. after that, it's anybody's guess.

According to the Editor's Notes to the April 2003 issue of the New York Times Crossword Society, the use of the word "moxie" to describe courage or guts has its origins in the name of the gentian root-flavored carbonated beverage sold since 1884. ("Moxie" was the answer to clue 92 Across of Puzzle #625, "Special Delivery" by June A. Boggs, edited by Eugene T. Maleska, copyright 1986 The New York Times.) Other fun facts provided in the supplemental notes about "Moxie" are: it was in fact the nation's leading soft drink for a time, endorsed by Boston Red Sox baseball star Ted Williams. Furthermore, the story goes that when U.S. President Warren Harding died in 1923, his Vice President, Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as President by his father (a justice of the peace) at their family farm in Vermont, where "Silent Cal" had been baling hay, and they celebrated the occasion with Moxie. Now you know.

Mox"ie (?), n. [fr. Moxie, a trade name for a beverage.]

1.

energy; pep

.

2.

courage, determination

.

3.

Know-how, expertise

.

MW10.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.