Mr. Lincoln showed his conciliatory side in refusing to quarrel over the boundaries of new counties. The following letter was written to William Butler, a hot-tempered political associate.


Vandalia, January 26, 1839                    

Dear Butler:

Your letter of the 21st is just received. You were in an ill-humor when you wrote that letter, and, no doubt, intended that I should be thrown into one also; which, however, I respectfully decline being done. All you have said about our having been bought up by Taylor, Wright, Turley, enemies etc. I know you would not say, seriously, in your moments of reflection; and therefore I do not think it worthwhile to attempt seriously to prove the contrary to you. I only now say, that I am willing to pledge myself in black and white to cut my own throat from ear to ear, if, when I meet you, you shall seriously say, that you believe me capable of betraying my friends for any price.

Nothing could do more credit to your heart, than the mortification you express at seeing the friends with whom you acted in getting up the remonstrance disappointed; but surely you ought not to blame us for being unable to accomplish impossibilities.

My respects to Mrs. Butler & Salome. Your friend in spite of your ill-nature

Lincoln                 


This document is a copy of the unedited text of a written work by Abraham Lincoln. Some typographical errors which were present in the original text appear here as well. This document was copied in its entirety from The Living Lincoln, edited by Paul M. Angle and Earl Schenck Miers, published by Marboro Books Corp.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.