A character from C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia introduced in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Tumnus is a faun, with the upper body of a man, a goat's legs and hoofs, reddish skin and a tail.

When Lucy Pevensie first stepped through the magic wardrobe in Professor Digory Kirke's old house and found herself in the land of Narnia, Mr. Tumnus was the first friend she met. He was well aware of the evil White Witch's law that any human child should be captured and given over to her, but instead he kept his peace. When Lucy's brother Edmund later followed her into Narnia he encountered the Witch. Dazzled by the promise of power and enchanted by Turkish Delight he let slip that Lucy had met a faun. When Lucy, Edmund and their siblings next visited Narnia, Mr. Tumnus had been abducted -- turned to stone in the Witch's ancient castle.

Tumnus was rescued, and the Witch defeated, by Aslan the great Lion, Lord and Protector of all Narnians. Aslan established the four children as Kings and Queens of Narnia, and Tumnus became their most trusted advisor. He accompanied King Edmund and Queen Susan to Tashbaan for Susan's ill-fated courtship with the evil Prince Rabadash (The Horse and His Boy), and continued to serve the four faithfully well into their adulthood, when they returned to London.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.