A kind of boot invented and named by the native Alaskan Inuit peoples, who made them out of the skin of a seal or reindeer and lined them inside and out with fur for warmth. The word derives from the word maklak, or bearded seal.

Today, the style is copied by numerous shoe and boot manufacturers using more-common sheepskin or cowhide leather and usually with a fleece or wool lining. The word "mukluk" is sometimes abused and used to refer to slippers or moccasins instead of boots.

The Canadian Forces' Boot, Extreme Cold Weather (also known as the Boot, Mukluk) comes in three parts: the white nylon-and-rubber outer boot, the insole, and the white cotton/wool 'sock' - essentially a sort of bootie that could, in theory, be worn separately as a sort of slipper, but in practice would get you yelled at. Assembly is straightforward; insert insole into boot, put on 'sock', put foot into boot, and lace. This latter is slightly different from your standard boot, as - to provide better ankle support, as well as to keep the mukluks on your feet - the laces have to pass through a tab at the back of the boot before being laced in front at the ankle. The result is a boot that - while having slightly less traction than the combat boot thanks to a lightly textured sole - is warm enough for temperatures and weather conditions where wearing combat boots would be detrimental to your podiatric health.

 

It also matches nicely with the other solid white Extreme Cold Weather equipment - that is to say, the Mittens, Extreme Cold Weather. (They do give you white snowpants and snowjacket, though.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.