Emacs package ("MULti-lingual Enhancement to Emacs") that handles support for All Those Languages That Use Weird Characters No One Knows, You Know.

This package makes Emacs a great choice if you need support for non-Latin-1 character sets. Practically, there's room to use every character set and input method under the Sun.

For example, to input Russian in XEmacs, select Mule->Set Language Environment->Cyrillic-ISO, then push C-\ and select cyrillic-translit to input stuff with this weird Western keyboard in fairly logical manner (Type "ya" and you'll get я, for example.)

Character in an RPG used for carrying items that won't fit on another character. Very common in Diablo 2, because you hardly have room for anything in your inventory there.

A mule is the offspring of a jackass (yes, that is really what a male donkey is called, the females are known as jennies) and a female horse. When this is reversed, and a female donkey and a male horse breed, the offspring is known as a hinny. Because a mule is a hybrid, the chances of it reproducing are extremely slim, although it has been known to happen.

Mules have larger heads than horses, and huge ears. Their ears can measure as much as 33 inches from tip to base. Their ears are sensitive to being touched, and much can be learned about a mule's mood by watching the ears. When a mule's ears are perked forward, the animal is intently watching or listening for something. This trait has alerted many mule skinners to danger long before they would have become aware of it using human senses. A mule with ears folded back is angry, and likely to bite or kick.

Mules vary in size, depending on their specific breed. Today there are five mule breeds. The smallest is the pack mule, standing about 4 feet at the shoulders and weighing about 600 pounds. Cotton mules are the next largest, and are the result of a burro sire and a pony mother. They were bred to carry cotton sacks on southern plantations. Their size was such that slaves picking the cotton didn't have to stand up to put cotton into the bags carried by the mule. Farm mules are slightly larger than cotton mules, but smaller than the sugar mule, who weighs in at 1,150 pounds. The largest and heaviest mule breed is the draft mule, who weighs over 3,000 pounds and is the mule used in the famous twenty mule trains that hauled borax from Death Valley in the 19th century.

The first mules in the United States were bred by George Washington. He imported the first jackasses to America and began a mule breeding program in 1785 to furnish mules to the US Army. Mules were the backbone of the military until the invention of the internal combustion engine.

Mules are stronger than horses, having inherited the heavier, thicker bones from their donkey father. This also makes them slower than most horses as well, however. Mules are also credited with being very intelligent and quite stubborn at times. Mules also have a very long memory and have been known to remember a person who mistreated them for many years. Mules live over 30 years, so that's a pretty long memory.

Mules are high-heeled shoes with open toes and no heel-strap. They're often made with nothing but a single strap across the toes used to hold the foot onto the sole.

Similar shoes include clogs and pantolettes, whose soles are both made of wood; sabots, which have a closed toe box; and slides, which have low heels.

              __
              V \  ,,
              I  \_||_.

While they were first popularized in the eighteenth century where they generally was decorated with embroidery or buckles, the mules most vivid in modern imagination are graced with marabou.

concepts, but not verbiage, from the alt.sex.fetish.fashion faq and from costumes.org.

Mule (?), n. [F., a she-mule, L. mula, fem. of mulus; cf. Gr. , . Cf. AS. ml, fr. L. mulus. Cf. Mulatto.]

1. Zool.

A hybrid animal; specifically, one generated between an ass and a mare, sometimes a horse and a she-ass. See Hinny.

⇒ Mules are much used as draught animals. They are hardy, and proverbial for stubbornness.

2. Bot.

A plant or vegetable produced by impregnating the pistil of one species with the pollen or fecundating dust of another; -- called also hybrid.

3.

A very stubborn person.

4.

A machine, used in factories, for spinning cotton, wool, etc., into yarn or thread and winding it into cops; -- called also jenny and mule-jenny.

Mule armadillo Zool., a long-eared armadillo Tatusia hybrida, native of Buenos Ayres; -- called also mulita. See Illust. under Armadillo. -- Mule deer Zool., a large deer (Cervus, ∨ Cariacus, macrotis) of the Western United States. The name refers to its long ears. -- Mule pulley Mach., an idle pulley for guiding a belt which transmits motion between shafts that are not parallel. -- Mule twist, cotton yarn in cops, as spun on a mule; -- in distinction from yarn spun on a throstle frame.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.