"My Text Editor"



Creed of a Software Developer with Time on His Hands



This is my text editor. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My text editor is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My text editor, without me, is useless. Without my text editor, I am useless. I must fire my text editor true. I must write more stable and readable code than my enemy in the next cube who writes deeply nested ternaries. I must fix his indenting before he "fixes" mine. I will...

My text editor and myself know that what counts in this profession is not the number of lines we write, the size of the executable, nor the complexity of our interfaces. We know that it is the useful features that count. We will implement useful features...

My text editor is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its extension language, its commands, its bugs, the quirks of its regex implementation, its syntax highlighting, and its auto-indent feature. I will ever customize it against the ravages of idiotic defaults and stupid user-harrassment features that try to "help". I will keep my text editor clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God and Dennis Ritchie I swear this creed. My text editor and myself are the defenders of The Right Thing. We are the masters of that swine in the next cube who ought to be fired. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is ours and we are promoted into management!



See My Rifle if you're wondering what the hell the point is.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.