Research for this was dicey, not a wealth of information on the subject, so any suggestions or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

For decades each NHL team, and teams in other leagues, have had unique horns blasted in their hockey arenas every time the home team scores. This tradition was started in January of 1983 by the Chicago Blackhawks. A horn was installed by Kahlenburg Marine Horns at the Old Arena, moved later to the United Center. Now all 30 NHL teams have one, most of which are train horns, possibly by Airchime or Leslie. Their purpose is to simply loudly announce that a goal has been scored to rile up the fans and electrify the building, maybe even intimidate the visitors a little. Dead silence or boos usually follow a visitor's goal, of course because they are not cause for celebration. Goal horns are most often blared twice or three times, unless, as is the case with some venues, it is one long blaring.

Although sometimes the choice of sound seems arbitrary, many of the goal horns are appropriate for the team in some way. Detroit's sounds like car horns since the city is famous for automobile manufacturing. Anaheim's sounds like the horn of a ship out at sea since the city is in close proximity to the ocean on the west coast. St. Louis' sounds like the horn of a steam riverboat since the region has a rich history of them chugging up and down the nearby Mississippi River. Goal horns are often accompanied by songs or organ music of some kind, like "Zombie Nation" like with the Atlanta Thrashers or New Jersey Devils, or "When the Saints Come Marching In" for the St. Louis Blues.

Below is a list of all the goal horns used by the 30 NHL teams, including the aforementioned. The songs played after the horns usually will not be listed unless it is special to the team in some way, as they vary wildly if the goal is the first, second, or third, etc. and they tend to change often.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.