The third CD from Paul Mounsey, following in the success of Nahoo and Nahoo Too. Notes from the Republic is softer and overall certainly a tamer experience than the somewhat-heavy rock of Nahoo Too and the socio-cultural themes of Nahoo. Much more orchestral, and overall not as memorable (with some exceptions), as its predecessors. There are some excellent songs here, but I think it's intended for those already familiar/interested in Mounsey's work. Definitely not the best to start with--for that I recommend Nahoo or Nahoo Too.

Tracklist:

  • Nahoo Nation
  • Independence Blues
  • The Keening
  • Notes from the Republic
  • Unfinished Business
  • Don Roberto's Sabbath
  • Night Falls
  • Mad Litany
  • Carver Angus with Bites
  • The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
  • Reel Slow
  • Taking Leave (Beir Soraidh Bhuam)
  • Fiunary
  • Last Thoughts

    In my opinion the best piece on here, by far, is Reel Slow. Starting with a lilting electronic arrangement, it launches into a powerful, slow groove full of energy and excitement, with some achingly beautiful violins; it's one of those songs where the energy seems almost impossible to contain within the constraints of the rather slow BPM. Absolutely gorgeous; memorable, beautiful, and technically impressive. Probably my second- or third-favorite Mounsey song ever (still, nothing beats From Ebb to Flood. Nothing.)

    Another worth mentioning is Unfinished Business. It is a little more mainstream that most Mounsey work, but it's quite good in its own way, combining ethnic instruments with Paul's own vocal talents.

    "I will love you / beyond all thought of time... / we'll watch the first steps / of this distant child of mine... / and the rain that falls like teardrops / beyond the hill and glen / sounds like freedom, and brings / a sense of wonder..."

    All in all, a decent but hardly revolutionary album, and the only Mounsey album that actually has some truly bad tracks (Taking Leave, Independence Blues). But hey, it's Paul Mounsey... and that can't be a bad thing!

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.