Narada Michael Walden (1952) songwriter / producer

Born April 23, 1952, in Kalamazoo, Michael Walden was named Narada by his spiritual guide Sri Chinmoy, who also worked with Carlos Santana (Samba Pa Ti) and John Goodman. After playing in various rock bands (the Mahavishnu Orchestra being the most important, with a 21-year-old Narada replacing drumming legend Billy Cobham), Walden delivered some solo albums as a vocalist. The Awakening proved to be his breakthrough album, reaching reasonable heights in the R&B hit lists.

Reach Out, Walden's cover of the Four Tops' Reach Out I'll Be There, was a dance hit in 1983. With Patti Austin, he issued Gimme Gimme Gimme and with the single Divine Emotions Narada Michael Walden contributed to the Michael J. Fox movie Bright Lights, Big City.

His career as a recording artist is exposed on The Best of Narada Michael Walden. But only when he left the singing trail and headed for producer’s recognition, Walden earned world fame. Near the end of 1985, he opened Tarpan Studios near San Francisco. In this state-of-the-art recording studio, many successes were born. His reputation is best shown by a list of artists who worked with him: Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Ray Charles, Diana Ross, Mariah Carey, George Michael, Al Green, Laura Pausini, Shanice Wilson (I Love Your Smile), Steve Winwood, Regina Belle-Passion (Baby Come to Me), Jermaine Stewart (We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off), Natalie Cole, Clarence Clemons, Puff Johnson and many others.

"The name Tarpan means 'satisfaction unparalleled', and that is an ideal that I can aspire to…giving joy to whomever comes to my door so that they can put that joy on tape"
Narada Michael Walden

Walden earned the 1985 Song of the Year award for writing Aretha Franklin’s single Freeway Of Love and was awarded Producer of the Year in 1987. His production of the 1993 movie soundtrack The Bodyguard became Album of The Year 1993. He contributed to the soundtracks of many more motion pictures, like Beverly Hills Cop II, Perfect, Waiting to Exhale, License to Kill, The Bodyguard, Jason's Lyric, 9 1/2 Weeks, Crooklyn, Free Willy, and The Associate.

Narada Michael Warden discography:

Full list of artists produced by Narada Michael Walden (according to www.naradamichaelwalden.com):

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.