Class AAA farm team of the Pittsburgh Pirates, in Nashville, TN. The Sounds play their home games in Herschel Greer Stadium. They compete in the Eastern Division of the Pacific Coast League.

The Nashville Americans were a charter team of the Southern League when it was formed in 1885. The team, going through several name changes, was unable to win a pennant and folded ten years after its inception. When the Southern Association started in 1901, their field became home to the Volunteers. Playing for over 60 years, the Vols' reign ended when the Southern Association disbanded in 1961. They were resurrected shortly in 1963 as a Double-A team, but Nashville was soon without a baseball team after their disappointing inaugural season. It would be 15 years before minor league baseball returned to the city. The first Nashville Sounds team was formed in 1978 as an expansion team of the Southern League. They played as the Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds for two years and as a New York Yankees team from 1980 to 1984.

In 1985, the Double-A Nashville team moved to Alabama and became the Huntsville Stars. Owner Larry Schmittou bought the Evansville Triplets of the American Association and brought them to Nashville. The team's initial Triple-A affiliation was with the Detroit Tigers, but they rejoined the Reds' organization in 1987. In 1993, the team switched affiliations again, this time to the Chicago White Sox. The Sounds shared their stadium with a homeless Southern League team, the Xpress, in 1993 and 1994 before the Double-A team moved to Wilmington, NC. In 1998, the American Association folded and the team joined the Pacific Coast League and became a Pirates franchise.

Famous players to have played for Nashville include Don Mattingly, Willie McGee, and Buck Showalter.

Games are broadcast on WANT FM 98.9. Web broadcasts can be found at www.nashvillesounds.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.