The National Labor Committee is an activist group based in the US which works for basic human rights for workers in developing countries. Headed by Charles Kernaghan, the NLC has allowed people in North America to see the reality of sweatshops, and the lack of enforcement of labor standards. In particular, they have brought the struggle of the workers in Haiti, Honduras and other under-developed countries to otherwise unaware consumers through mass media news such as Hard Copy and 20/20.

They have a video available in which Haitian workers sewing Disney clothing were shown how much the clothes they made sold in Wal-Mart stores. The workers were in shock and disbelief when they found out that the cost of one shirt in the US was worth roughly five days of their pay, considering they sewed hundreds of shirts a day.

From their website, at http://www.nlcnet.org:

"The National Labor Committee's mission is to educate and actively engage the U.S. public on human and labor rights abuses by corporations. Through this education and activism, our goal is to end labor and human rights violations, ensure a living wage tied to a basket of needs, and help workers and their families live and work with dignity."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.