(So named (Greek neos, "new" + Modern Latin didymium) in 1885 by C. A. von Welsbach from being split from didymium) A silver-colored chemical element, one of the rare-earth metals, used in the coloring of glass and in lasers.

Symbol: Nd
Atomic number: 60
Atomic weight: 144.24
Density (at room temperature and pressure): 7.007 g/cc
Melting point: 1,021°C
Boiling point: 3,070°C
Valence: +3
Ground state electron configuration: [Xe]4f46s2

Neodymium magnets also happen to be of the strongest magnets known to mankind. And guess what? You happen to be sitting near one right now. The magnets in most hard drives are neodymium magnets. If you have some old harddrives laying around, don't throw them away! Rather, bust them open and steal their magnets! You'll be surprised at how strong they are.

Recently, I did an experiment wherein I got hold of three tubes: one copper, one aluminum, one plastic (the control). I dropped a neodymium magnet down each of the tubes and the results were amazing. The magnet dropped down the copper tube actually fell slower than 9.8m/s2 (the acceleration of gravity). The aluminum also had a slight effect and, of course, the plastic PVC pipe had no affect on the rate of fall. All this was due to Lenz's Law and the strength of the magnet.

Neodymium
Symbol: Nd
Atomic Number: 60
Atomic Weight: 144.24
Boiling Point: 3347 K
Melting Point: 1294 K
Density at 300K: 7.01 g/cm3
Covalent radius: 1.64
Atomic radius: 2.64
Atomic volume: 20.6 cm3/mol
First ionization potental: 5.49 V
Specific heat capacity: 0.190 Jg-1K-1
Thermal conductivity: 16.5 Wm-1K-1
Electrical conductivity: 1.6*106Ω-1m-1
Heat of fusion: 10.88 kJ/mol
Heat of vaporization: 283.68 kJ/mol
Electronegativity: 1.14 (Pauling's)

Previous Praseodymium---Promethium Next
To the Periodic Table

Ne`o*dym"i*um (?), n. [NL. Dee Neo- , and Didymium.] (Chem.)

An elementary substance which forms one of the constituents of didymium. Symbol Nd. Atomic weight 140.8.

 

© Webster 1913


Ne`o*dym"i*um (?), n. [NL. See Neo- , Didymium.] (Chem.)

A rare metallic element occurring in combination with cerium, lanthanum, and other rare metals, and forming amethyst-colored salts. It was separated in 1885 by von Welsbach from praseodymium, the two having previously been regarded as a single element (didymium). It is chiefly trivalent. Symbol Nd; at. wt. 144.3.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.