Another in the trend of 'play once a day' internet games, spawned by the success of Wordle.

Nerdle (external link) distinguishes itself because you have to guess a calculation. Valid guesses for a tile are the digits 0 through 9, the basic arithmetic operators (+, -, /, *) and the equals sign (=). The equals sign must occur precisely once, and the right hand side of the equation can only be a result, not a calculation. Like Wordle, tiles light up green for a correct guess, black if the guess is not in the puzzle, and another colour to indicate the guess is in the puzzle, but in a different position.

Nerdle has 8 tiles to fill out to complete the calculation of the day. Like Wordle, Nerdle lets you try up to six times. With a good starting guess, four or five careful guesses seem to do the job. (I start with 3 * 4 + 5 = 1 7.) Nerdle observes standard BEDMAS order of operations. The Nerdle FAQ says that if an answer is commutative that it will be accepted as correct and your guess will be rearranged to match. I have yet to see this occur in gameplay. Negative numbers (such as -5) are accepted but are not used in the calculation of the day. So far, I have observed the result of the calculation to be between one and three digits, more often than not it's been two digits.

Time and difficulty wise, Nerdle takes a bit longer than Wordle, but not as long as Semantle. Nerdle resets daily at midnight GMT.

Update: Playing on May 5, 2020 I encountered the commutative behavior. A fancy animation rearranged the tiles. The "you won" popup notes that this can be disabled in settings. Interestingly this same puzzle also included a negative intermediate product.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.