A group of super-humans created by the legendary Jack Kirby and published by DC Comics.

First introduced in Jimmy Olsen #133, the New Gods are from the planets of New Genesis and Apokolips. The two worlds were created after the war of the old gods split their planet in two. The first members of the New Gods that were introduced were known as the Forever People. Taken from different times in Earth's history by the leader of New Genesis, the Highfather, the Forever People rode their super-cycle around Earth battling evil. Their group included Beautiful Dreamer, Big Bear, Mark Moonrider, Serifan, and Vykin. Along with their Mother Box, an intelligent, sentient computer, these five could call forth the Infinity Man, to battle the forces of the ruler of Apokolips, Darkseid.

From these intitial adventures of the Forever People, Kirby created a whole mythos for the New Gods. Heading the two conflicting sides were Darkseid, the evil and calculating leader of Apokolips and the Highfather, kind ruler of New Genesis. To stop the conflict between their two worlds, these leaders exchanged sons to be raised by the other. The Highfather's son, Scott Free, was given to Darkseid to be raised by Granny Goodness in her orphanage. Scott eventually escaped and traveled to earth where he became the hero Mister Miracle. Darkseid's son Orion was raised by the High Father and has dedicated his violent spirit to defeating his father.

"New Gods" by the Meat Puppets.

Appears on their album Meat Puppets II,
Track 8, 2:12. About a minute of that is the song with the lyrics below repeated twice. The rest is guitar solos and general noodling (though it is fast noodling).

One of the fast-paced songs on the album, it reveals their hardcore roots. 'Course, after the first couple of lines, the speed of the lyrics drops to a slow rate and is actually quite a nice juxtaposition of the early 80's punk music with words you can actually understand and that aren't screamed. Fun stuff.


how much do I owe you?
I'll pay but I don't want to
days of where i came from
in a resturant in mexico.
They told me not to drink the water,
and not to touch the food,
"all we got is pepsi cola
and we know that it won't hold you,
but remember what we told you:
no one else knows what's in store,
remember that we told you."


Those are the lyrics straight out of the re-release CD insert and on to your monitor. Words and music copyright Curt Kirkwood.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.