Newsboys are a Christian rock group. The group was first formed in 1988 in Australia. The members include Peter Furler, Jeff Frankenstein, Jody Davis, Phil Joel, and Duncan Phillips. They have earned three Grammy nominations, three gold records, four Dove awards.

The bands 8 current albums "Read all about it" 1988, "Hell is for wimps" 1990, "Boyz will be Boyz" 1991, "Not Ashamed" 1992, "Going Public" 1994, "Take me to your leader" 1996, "Set up to the Microphone" 1998, and "Love Liberty Disco" 1999

A quote from Peter Furler best descibes the biggest infulence on the band. " It seems to be human nature to be tough on others as well a ourselves, feeling that we or they (varying on the individual) fail to live up to some standard. If we could, just for a moment, see others and ourselves as our creator sees us: compassion for the prostitute, befriending the tax collector, loving the leper and the thief on the cross...."today youll be with me in paradise." To God, everyone is someone. "

As of Not Ashamed, the next three Newsboys albums were produced by Steve Taylor, who gave the albums a definite sound and feel, much smoother than earlier albums.

It's fascinating watching the transition of album trends throughout Not Ashamed, Going Public, and Take Me To Your Leader, as the group seems to grow more cynical in direction.

Not, mind you, cynicism against God, but rather against other Christians, and Christian attitudes toward God.

As of Step Up to the Microphone, Pete Furler began doing the production for the albums. Step Up... is somewhat colder than the earlier albums, but the most recent album, Love Liberty Disco is a very warm return, if very influenced by disco musically.

Much as The Newsboys seem to have found a niche in terms of sound, much as many Christian artists do, they do it very well, which is more than can be said of many musical groups.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.