English religious reformer. Born 1502, died 1555.

After completing studies at Cambridge, Paris and Louvain, Nicholas Ridley was made a doctor of theology and became Master of Pembroke College, at Cambridge University.

During the reign of King Edward VI, Ridley developed reformatorial concepts, inspired by Calvin's teachings. In 1547, he was made Bishop of Rochester, and in 1550 Bishop of London.

However, Ridley's stellar career came to a sticky end: under the Catholic Queen Mary I ("Bloody Mary"), Ridley was arrested, tried for heresy, and burned at the stake, in Oxford.


As they were about to be burned at the stake, together, Ridley's friend and fellow clergyman, Hugh Latimer, supposedly said to him:

"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England as I trust shall never be put out."

Ridley, Nicholas, an English clergyman. Bishop of London in the reigns of Edward VI., and his successor Mary; born about the commencement of the 16th century; filled the office of protector of Cambridge University. In 1547 he was chosen to the see of Rochester, and in 1550 superseded Bonner as Bishop of London. On the death of Edward he was involved in an attempt to secure the Protestant ascendancy by placing the Lady Jane Grey on the throne. This, together with his connection to Cranmer, led to his being tried for heresy; he was found guilty, and condemned to the stake. This sentence he underwent with the greatest fortitude, in company with his friend and fellow-sufferer Latimer, Oct. 10, 1555, in Oxford.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.