Decades spanning war-hero and spy published by Marvel Comics and created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Nick Fury first appeared in Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos in 1963.

Nicholas Joseph Fury was born in New York City, the eldest of three children. He was raised by his step-mother, but his real upbringing was on the streets of Hell's Kitchen. Though tough and street smart, Fury was basically a good kid. He and his friend Red Hargrove soon took up boxing as an outlet for their youthful energies.

Eventually, Fury and Hargrove decided to go into business together, organizing a wing walking act. With Hargrove flying and Fury doing the stunts, the two soon came to the attention of authorities in the British armed forces. The two were asked to help in training British airman in the art of parachuting. They were also asked to participate in a British mission in Netherlands against the Nazis. The two agreed and after that mission, returned to the U.S. and enlisted in the army. After basic training, the two were both stationed at Pearl Harbor on that fateful day that Japan attacked. Fury lost Hargrove that day, galvanizing his desire to see revenge.

Fury joined the U.S. Rangers. During one of his first missions, Fury was struck in the head by a bullet, causing bone fragments to damage the optical nerves. He lost sight in one of his eyes and from that forward wore an eye patch, that with a cigar have become his trademarks.

Fury was soon promoted to the command of the first attck squad. Known as the Howling Commandos, this squad was placed in the hottest part of any conflict. Fury ended up making life time friends in this group, including, "Dum Dum" Dugan and Gabe Jones. The squad ended up fighting along side such heroes as Captain America and the Invaders as well as opposing such villains as the Red Skull and Baron Zemo. During this time, Fury also matched wits with his most implacable foe, Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker.

Fury also met Professor Berthold Sternberg during this time. Sternberg had produced a chemical formula he called the Infinity Formula that slowed the aging process. Sternberg injected Fury with the formula, allowing Fury to stay vital through out the years.

Fury continued to serve after the war as a member of the OSS, becoming involved in the spy community. He eventually transferred to the CIA for a time and went on a number of missions, coming into contact with such people as Natasha Romonov, the future Black Widow and the mutant Logan who would one day become the hero Wolverine.

Eventually, a new international security agency was formed called SHIELD or Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division. Fury was approached by the group to become their director and Fury accepted. He acted as director of SHIELD through the 60's, 70's and 80's. He recruited his old Howler buddies Dugan and Jones, to work with him.

SHIELD often came into conflict with HYDRA, an evil group lead by Fury's old nemesis, Baron Von Strucker. The two fought each other on many occasions. Eventually, Fury and SHIELD battled HYDRA on HYDRA island, sinking their base with Von Strucker trapped inside.

Unbeknownst to Fury, the 1980's brought a new threat to SHIELD, one which would destroy it from the inside. A group of aliens known as the Deltites began replacing SHIELD agents with duplicates. Eventually, Fury with the help of a few loyal agents were able to bring the Deltites down, but the damage to SHIELD and its reputation was such that SHIELD was disbanded and Fury took a break from espionage.

The following year, a new SHIELD Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate was established, with Fury once again at the helm. After some rough going establishing the new agency, Fury and SHIELD were able to react to international threats to world security. SHIELD however took a major blow when Von Strucker and HYDRA returned to the scene. HYDRA destroyed SHIELD's main headquarters, killing over one thousand agents. Fury tracked Von Strucker down and killed him as revenge.

For a time, Fury was believed dead, when a LMD or Life Model Decoy, an advanced android, was "assassinated" by a mind-controlled Punisher. Believed dead by everyone, Fury was in fact trapped in a pocket dimension. He had been investigating the disappearance of a former director, when he became trapped. He has since returned and continues to oversee SHIELD's operations.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.