1. To arrest; to commit to jail or prison. 2. To beg, borrow, or steal from; to obtain something for nothing.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
newsgroup = N = nickle

nick n.

[IRC; very common] Short for nickname. On IRC, every user must pick a nick, which is sometimes the same as the user's real name or login name, but is often more fanciful. Compare handle, screen name.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

In the game of squash, the nick refers to the intersection of the floor with one of the side walls, or with the back wall. Thus there are two side-wall nicks, and one back-wall nick.

The nick is an important part of the squash court as it can make the ball do strange things. A ball that lands exactly in the nick will not bounce out - instead it rolls across the floor. If you play such a shot you should keep a poker face as you calmly fetch the ball. Let your opponent think you can do it on your ear.

A ball that almost lands in the nick is still a very good shot, for two reasons. Firstly it will bounce awkwardly. Secondly, it will cause uncertainty as to whether it will hit the wall or the floor first. If it hits the wall first it will bounce low and fast. If it hits the floor first, it will bounce high and slow. Preparing for both eventualities will be very difficult for your opponent.

Always aim for the nick.

Nick (), n. [AS. nicor a marine monster; akin to D. nikker a water spite, Icel. nykr, ONG. nihhus a crocodile, G. nix a water sprite; cf. Gr. to wash, Skr. nij. Cf. Nix.] Northern Myth.

An evil spirit of the waters.

Old Nick, the evil one; the devil. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Nick, n. [Akin to Nock.]

1.

A notch cut into something

; as: (a)

A score for keeping an account; a reckoning

. [Obs.] (b) Print.

A notch cut crosswise in the shank of a type, to assist a compositor in placing it properly in the stick, and in distribution.

W. Savage.

(c)

A broken or indented place in any edge or surface; nicks in china.

2.

A particular point or place considered as marked by a nick; the exact point or critical moment.

To cut it off in the very nick. Howell.

This nick of time is the critical occasion for the gainger of a point. L'Estrange.

 

© Webster 1913.


Nick, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Nicked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Nicking.]

1.

To make a nick or nicks in; to notch; to keep count of or upon by nicks; as, to nick a stick, tally, etc.

2.

To mar; to deface; to make ragged, as by cutting nicks or notches in.

And thence proceed to nicking sashes. Prior.

The itch of his affection should not then Have nicked his captainship. Shak.

3.

To suit or fit into, as by a correspondence of nicks; to tally with.

Words nicking and resembling one another are applicable to different significations. Camden.

4.

To hit at, or in, the nick; to touch rightly; to strike at the precise point or time.

The just season of doing things must be nicked, and all accidents improved. L'Estrange.

5.

To make a cross cut or cuts on the under side of (the tail of a horse, in order to make him carry ir higher).

 

© Webster 1913.


Nick, v. t.

To nickname; to style.

[Obs.]

For Warbeck, as you nick him, came to me. Ford.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.