Sleepwalking often results in the subject awaking to discover that he/she has done something extremely stupid.

Quite often, the sleepwalker will express hidden emotions or psychological instabilities. Other times, these nocturnal activities can simply be a "vent" for excess energy, stress, or exhaustion.

An example of a case where the sleepwalker perhaps was displaying either hidden emotion or mental instabilities was given by the husband of the subject:
Mr. Noonan (name changed) stated that, although the waking hours of the marriage seem fine, at night his partner seemingly begins to sleepwalk. During this time, she performs such tasks as washing dishes and playing solitaire on the family computer. When approached, she would curse at him and gesture menacingly, sometimes brandishing the nearest object as a weapon. The next morning, she would know nothing of these activities and the relationship would continue as normal.

Some examples of sleepwalking activity that can be induced by fatigue or stress include stories many people can relate to. These occurances range from waking up in a different room to discovering you have done something nonsensical like place your television remote control in the refrigerator, carrying a towel, or have put on your favorite hat. I myself, after a particularly exhausting day, actually awoke the next morning to discover that I had removed our toilet seat (the design allows easy, tooless lift and pull removal), carried it down the hall, and leaned it against our couch. The strange thing is that I had a bit of a recollection of doing it, but had dismissed it as a dream until finding the seat in the living room.

Sleepwalking was once thought to be the act of demons or the devil. It has also been linked to insanity. However, we now know it as being an outlet for overburdened minds and bodies.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.