Book by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman about The Doors and specifically mostly about Jim Morrison. Perhaps a little sensationalistic but fascinating.

I've made it half way through this book...twice. Normally I have no problem reading books. Any books. I've read Atlas Shrugged cover to cover twice. As a younger school child I read through my picture Bible book at least three times. As a teenager I made it through the bible, cover to cover (admittedly I skimmed through Kings I and II and a fair amount of the other historical/genealogical pages of the old testament) twice.

The first time I saw the Morrison poster which reads "An American Poet" I admittedly scoffed a bit. I feel he was a good lyricist, an incredible entertainer, and one hell of an artist, but a poet? While the books I've read and the excerpts I've run in to have tried to hail him as a poet I strongly disagree. William Carlos Williams was a poet. Whitman was a poet. Cummings was a poet. Dickinson, as in Miss Emily, was a poet. I find it difficult to put Morrison in this same category. I believe he was one hell of a writer. Even more so I agree he was one hell of an artist. But that doesn't make him a poet.

Holy Shit, I went off on a tangent. My apologies.

The aforementioned book is an interesting one. At least the half I read was. However, I feel it could have been more accurate if it were to let go some of the glorification of Morrison, and focus more on his true talent, ie. entertainment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.