Huabei Pingyuan

The first-settled, most intensively cultivated, and most heavily populated part of China, including most of

Some important cities other than the the province-level shi are Jinan, Jining, Suzhou, Tangshan, Shijiazhuang, Zhengzhou, Kaifeng, Nanjing, and Hangzhou.

Although the plain is interrupted in a few places by mountain ranges (most notably the ones in Shandong), the plain consists of the alluvial deposits of the Huang He, the Huai He, and to a lesser extent, the Chang Jiang (aka the "Yangtze River"). Most of the work has been done by the Huang He, whose course (including the location of its mouth) has migrated several hundred miles north and south over the centuries.

The plain also bears the scars of several millennia of intensive agriculture and drainage modification. There are lakes, the remnants of floods that happened centuries ago (and some recent ones that happened deliberately), and hundreds of rivers that flow in ancient courses of the Huang He. The Grand Canal, or Yun He, also cuts through the plain from north (Tianjin) to south (Hangzhou).

Most of the Plain is too far north for the cultivation of rice, and its principal crops are corn, winter wheat, and gaoliang. Fertilization is necessary to grow crops here, as the soil has been worked for so long that without assistance, it serves only to hold the plants up.

The northern and southern extremes of the plain, around Beijing, Tianjin, and Shanghai, are highly industrialized.

Source:
A Geography of China class, half-lost in the mists of time.
The Times Atlas of China, whose spellings were all in Wade Giles.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.