Dear Mr. "Fire & Life Safety Plans Examiner" at the city Planning Department,

You're breaking my heart. Day after day, I sit by the phone, waiting for you to call me back, but you never do. Each time the phone rings, my heart skips a beat, and I think to myself, “Is it him?”

But it never is.

I leave messages on your machine, you never seem to pick up the phone. I even visited your office today, I was told you would be there. I waited in the lobby for two hours, but you never came. One of your coworkers had me write a note, and told me that she would leave it on your desk.

But I still haven't heard from you.

It's been a little over a month since I first tried to reach you. Each day that passes without hearing from you, my hope fades, and the world seems a little less alive and the sky a little less blue. Tear my heart to shreds, and throw my hopes to the wind if you must, but just let me know one way or another. The big football game is on Saturday, and I am going to lose out on $4000 if I can't get my temporary event parking permit approved by then.

You're ripping me apart.

Sincerely yours,

Nick.

My goodness. The old saw has it that time flies when you're having fun (especially when you get older); and this bit of time certainly has flown faster than a member of the Bush government heading out to write a tell-all book.

I'm referring to the fact that today I've been a member of E2 for six years. Notice I say "a member", not 'a noder' or 'been logging on here' or otherwise, though those are all OK too. A member, a part of this wonderful site and community of writers, kooks, shitstirrers, angels, daemons, and just plain folks. And y'all all know which you are, and I love you all for it.

I'm probably repeating myself from a previous year's posting when I say this place has made more positive difference in my life than almost anything else I've encountered. But it's worth repeating because it continues to be true.

Thanks, E2, more than I can say. Now, on to the future!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.