"One out of every five Scriptures in the Bible contains a number. Numbers are important to having a working knowledge of the Bible." --Ed F. Vallowe, Keys to Scripture Numerics

Numbers play an important role in the Bible. The spiritual signifigance of numbers is very obvious when reading through any of the books. Here are a few of the signifigant numbers in scripture:

One
One, or protoss in Greek, is the number of God and the divine.

Two
Two is the number of difference or unity, depending on the context. If two people agree on a matter then it is true. In other cases, two divides. On the second day of creation, God divided the earth from the sky.

Three
Three, tritos in Greek, is the number of divine completeness. God is made of three parts - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. On the third day of creation the foundation of the earth was finished. Three is also the number of ressurection and redemption, because on the third day after Christ was crucified he rose from the dead.

Four
Four, tessares in Greek, represents the earth and man.

Five
Five denotes God's grace since it is 4+1, or the combination of man and God.

Six
Six is number of humanity. Man was created on the sixth day of creation, so therefore this number is his mark. In the Bible men who are linked with going against the power of God, such as Goliath, Nebuchadnezzar, or the Antichrist, are associated with this number. Six is also one less than seven.

Seven
Seven is the number of spiritual perfection. God completed creating the earth on the seventh day. There are many examples of the number seven being used to represent completeness in scripture.

Nine
Nine is used to show divine retribution or judgement. It is the product of divine completeness (3*3).

Twelve
Twelve represents the church or government perfection. Jacob had twelve sons who became the twelve tribes of Israel. Jesus had the twelve disciples, and the tree of life in the book of Revelation has twelve different types of fruit.

It is interesting to note that spiritual perfection (7) is achieved by combining God and man (3+4). Likewise, getting the product of 3 and 4 gives 12 - or a divine authority. The number of man (6) is one less than perfection. In other words, man tries to attain perfection but falls short without God (6+1=7).

--------
Sources:
http://members.tripod.com/~HarveP/sig-numbers.html
http://www.cezwright.com/books/numbers.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.