Physically being numb often occurs when a part of your body does not get enough oxygen. It will grow cold and lose sensation and eventually you will become unable to move it. Being numb can create all sorts of interesting situations and feelings.

For instance, the other night I awoke suddenly and realized i could not sense my left arm. so, i reached over with my right hand and started groping around at my side where my other arm should be, but it was nowhere to be found. I gasped in horror as I realized that someone had come along in the middle of the night and deftly removed my left arm while i slept. Who would have the gall to do such a thing to me? As I tried to compile a list of people who I would consider capable of such an act I became simutaneously outraged and heart broken. I would never be able to tie my shoes again. i would never be able to swing on monkey bars, my ability to pat my head and rub my stomach was forever lost....

It was then I noticed there was something odd sitting on the pillow above my head. i reached up and grabbed at it with my remaining arm and discovered, to my horror, my estranged limb. It was cold to the touch, and when i lifted it it was nothing but a dead weight.

I noticed, however, that it was still attached to me. Even though I couldn't move it or feel with it, I felt an empty shell of an arm was better than none at all. Maybe, after many arduous years of physical therapy and the addition of subcutaneous electrodes I could regain some semblance of its former glory.

While I spent several minutes overdramatizing this loss, my arm began to grow all tingly inside. I felt the cool blood return into it. I discovered that it could be moved in a crude and jerky manner. I flopped it around (accidently hitting myself in the face once) and smiled as I realized all hope was not lost for my second favorite arm. Then came the second wave of sensation. The muscles grew tense and my arm felt as if it was placed into an Iron Maiden. As that feeling passed my arm was as good as new. It had been through death and rebirth and it came back as wonderful as ever. I vowed, from that day forward, to never sleep with my arm above my head again.

Numb"ness (?), n.

The condition of being numb; that state of a living body in which it loses, wholly or in part, the power of feeling or motion.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.