Nunavik is the northernmost part of the Nord-du-Québec administrative region of Québec, Canada. It is vast and covers 444000 square kilometres.

There are 14 Inuit villages in Nunavik, with a total population of around 12,000. The largest village is Kuujjuaq (Population 2,132: census 2006).

Nunavik's villages are all on the coast of two bays, Ungava Bay and Hudson Bay.

The Ungava Bay villages are Kangiqsujuaq, Quaqtaq, Kangirsuk, Aupaluk*, Tasiujaq, Kuujjuaq, and Kangiqsualujjuaq

The Hudson Bay villages are Salluit, Ivujivik, Akulivik, Puvirnituq, Inukjuak, Umiujaq, and Kuujjuarapik.

*Aupaluk is the smallest village (Population 174: census 2006)

No roads connect these villages, and there are no roads that connect Nunavik to the rest of Quebec to the south. Most travel is done by plane, and at some points in the year by watercraft, by snowmobile, or dogsled.

Government

All of Nunavik is within the provincial electoral district of Ungava and the federal electoral district of Abitibi—Baie-James—Nunavik—Eeyou.

The Kativik Regional Government, seated in Kuujjuaq, was established as part of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement of 1978.

The Kativik School Board governs education in Nunavik and administers public education services.

The Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services governs health policy in Nunavik and administers health services.

The Makivik Corporation, headquartered in Kuujjuaq, represents the Inuit of Nunavik in their relations with the governments of Quebec and Canada.

Geography

Nunavik is home to Québec's tree line, meaning that most of the villages and surrounding areas have no trees at all.

Nunavik has three significant craters: the New Quebec crater, the Couture crater, and La Moinerie crater.

The aurora borealis (Northern Lights) are visible during the coldest months of the year throughout Nunavik.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.