Oval is the name for German electronic music artist Marcus Poppe. His music is most well known for its implementation of the sound of marred and scratched Compact Discs. In many songs, the sound artifacts that result from these scratched discs are looped and manipulated to form a rhythm. On top of these rhythms are ambient melodies and other noises. Recommended album: "Systemisch".

Oval has released albums on the famous avant-garde german electronic label Mille Plateaux, and on Thrill Jockey in the United States. His LP discography includes:

Wohnton - 1993
Systemisch - 1994
94 Diskont - 1995
Dok - 1998
Ovalprocess - 2000

Oval has also worked with Jan St. Werner of Mouse on Mars in the band Microstoria.

O"val (?), a. [F. ovale, fr. L. ovum egg. Cf. Egg, Ovum.]

1.

Of or pertaining to eggs; done in the egg, or inception; as, oval conceptions.

[Obs.]

2.

Having the figure of an egg; oblong and curvilinear, with one end broader than the other, or with both ends of about the same breadth; in popular usage, elliptical.

3. Bot.

Broadly elliptical.

Oval chuck Mech., a lathe chuck so constructed that work attached to it, and cut by the turning tool in the usual manner, becomes of an oval form.

 

© Webster 1913.


O"val, n.

A body or figure in the shape of an egg, or popularly, of an ellipse.

Cassinian oval Geom., the locus of a point the product of whose distances from two fixed points is constant; -- so called from Cassini, who first investigated the curve. Thus, in the diagram, if P moves so that P A.P B is constant, the point P describes a Cassinian oval. The locus may consist of a single closed line, as shown by the dotted line, or of two equal ovals about the points A and B.

<-- Illustr. of Cassinian Oval -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.