A 4-voice polyphonic semi-modular analog synthesizer with a 49-note keyboard.
800 units produced between 1975 and 1979.

The Four Voice consists of 4 SEM units controlled by a master programming module. Due to this, parameters for each voice can be modified independently.
There are 2 syncable VCOs per voice, switchable between sawtooth and pulse (with PWM) waveforms. As a filter the modules each offer a resonant 2-pole (12dB/octave) multimode VCF with its own ADR envelope generator, identical to the one on the VCA. A sine wave LFO is also available on each voice.
In addition to the 4-note polyphony, a massive 8-oscillator monophonic mode is also available. By connecting additional SEM modules to the unit, it can basicially be transformed to its big brother, the Eight Voice.

The master module contains RAM which can hold up to 16 user patches. Unfortunately all the possible parameters can't be stored. For more backup space there is a cassette interface which can used to dump 16-sound groups on a regular audio tape.
Other features include a simple pan effect on the output mixer, keyboard split plus a filter pedal jack.

Famous users of the Four Voice include 808 State, Chick Corea, Depeche Mode, Jan Hammer, Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream and Stevie Wonder.

Dimensions/Weight
42" (w) x 13.5" (h) x 19" (d)
79lbs

Info collected from all over the web as usual, and processed through my sleepy eyes and sore fingers.


back to Oberheim

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.