This is the genealogy of the programming language Oberon:

Oberon is a child of Modula.
Oberon was born in year 1987.
It became Oberon-2 in year 1991, and has not changed much since that time.

This genealogy is brought to you by the Programming Languages Genealogy Project.

One of Uranus's moons, Oberon is the second largest at 947 miles in diameter. It is the farthest out at a distance of 362,021 miles.

The surface has many meteor craters. Voyager 2's photographs revealed large cracks cutting across the southern hemisphere of the moon. Several of the larger craters are believed to be filled with lava flows or water. Oberon has many large mountains, one of which is nearly 14 miles high.

Appears in one medieval legend as the offspring of Julius Caesar and Morgan le Fay. Better known as the king of Fairy, particularly in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, where he is at war with his wife Titiana over a question of who has more power.* With the help of his servant Puck, he accidentally casts a spell on his wife, making her fall in love with Nick Bottom, who is now in the form of an ass. But all is resolved, and I think you should really go and read the play.


*This motif shows up in the Irish Tain Bo Cuailnge , where Queen Medb and her husband King Ailill fight over who is more powerful, thus provoking a war. Medb is the origin of Queen Mab in later fairy lore, and Oberon is said in some sources to be the husband of Mab.

Ob"er*on (?), n. [F., fr. OF. Auberon; prob. of Frankish origin.] Mediaeval Mythol.

The king of the fairies, and husband of Titania or Queen Mab.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.